Welcome to the governor section of the Magdalen Gates Primary School website. I hope this will give you an idea of who the governors are and what we do.
Our Role, what we do
- Our role is essentially strategic; the operational running of the school is the responsibility of the Head Teacher.
- We are responsible for the conduct of the school.
- We must promote high standards of education, ensuring continued school improvement. Therefore we hold the Head Teacher to account for educational performance.
- We must be a critical but supportive friend to the school.
- Help the school be responsive to the needs of pupils, parents and the community.
- Ensure clarity of vision.
- Oversee financial performance, making sure money is spent effectively in line with the school development/improvement plans.
How do we do this
We meet once a half term as a full governing body.
We delegate responsibilities to small committees and working parties that meet once a term. All meetings are recorded and available on request. Chairs of committees and working parties feedback decisions/ideas at full governing meetings.
We have two main committees:
- Premises, Personnel and Finance
- Curriculum and Standards
We complete training and continually update our skills to ensure we keep up to date and to improve the skills within the board.
Within meetings we review policies; approve and set Budgets; set strategic direction; review data of pupil progress. We have reports at full governors meeting from the Head Teacher. Teachers and pupils attend our meetings to explain things they are doing within the school and the difference that it makes to our school.
Governors take on individual responsibilities/links within the school.
We carry out learning walks so we can see the school in action. For some of us this is one of our favourite parts of the role, as we get to see the children and their learning.